Under the direction and supervision of the responsible Registered Nurse (RN), performs specific patient care duties to meet safety and comfort needs of the patient. Provides input to assist the RN in planning and implementing patient care. Responds to emergent situations according to established procedures. Recognizes and participates in own continuing education. The Nurse Assistant follows the Henry Ford Health System Team Member Standards of Excellence in all interactions.
Prinicipal Duties and Responsibilties:
1. Maintains effective, professional, and appropriate communication during all patient, family encounters and healthcare team member interactions. Actively participates in
2. Identifies concerns related to patients, staff, and self, and communicates with the responsible RN.
3. Actively participates in the shared governance process to promote nursing and team practice.
4. Maintains commitment to peers evidenced by healthy communication principles and positive problem solving.
1. As directed, assists the RN in admitting, transferring and discharging of patients.
2. Demonstrates sensitivity to patients’ comfort and privacy and is engaged in patients’ care. Answers patient questions, and explains procedures when performing.
3. Provides personal care assistance to patients, including bathing, dressing, feeding, toileting, mobility, comfort and transportation.
4. Provides therapeutic patient care under the supervision and/or direction of the RN, to include the following duties (per business unit process):
5. Routine rounding on patients assigned when not directly engaged in patient care tasks.
6. Performs purposeful rounding according the unit standards.
7. Maintains safe and clean patient room environment.
8. Makes necessary supply deliveries to patient rooms and ancillary departments.
9. Performs other related duties as required within scope of practice.
10. Must practice the customer service Standards of Excellence.
Quality and Safety
1. Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
2. Maintains a clean, safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for
patients/families in accordance with HFHS standards.
3. Recognizes and responds to emergencies and alarms and immediately
communicates situation to appropriate persons.
4. Maintains confidentiality of patient and unit care data.
5. Performs general clerical duties as assigned.
6. Ensures an adequate stock of patient care supplies, proper functioning maintenance and cleaning of equipment.
7. Documents patient care provided.
8. Provides 1:1 patient care for patient safety as assigned
1. Open and receptive to performance feedback for personal growth including:
2. Participates in discussions with the Unit Leadership regarding job enrichment and career progression.
3. Supports administrative and unit governance changes to job role and unit operations.
Research and Education
1. Attends and participates in educational forums as provided.
2. Completes required education in a timely manner and participates in on-going unit specific educational programs.
3. Supports unit research within assigned role.
1. Recommend participation in community activities that promote HFHS and the
customers we serve.
2. Represents HFHS by promoting an atmosphere of care, concern, pride and respect to internal and external customers
3. Maintains awareness of personal actions and activities and the impact on the image of nursing
1. Aware of financial implications of actions and decisions based on factors related to safety and effectiveness.
Founded in 1915 by auto pioneer Henry Ford and now one of the nation's leading health care providers, Henry Ford Health System is a not-for-profit corporation managed by President and Chief Executive Officer Wright Lassiter III and governed by a 17-member Board of Trustees, with volunteer-led advisory and affiliate boards providing additional leadership.
It is comprised of hospitals, medical centers and one of the nation's largest group practices, the Henry Ford Medical Group, which includes more than 1,200 physicians practicing in over 40 specialties. The System's flagship, Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, is a Level 1 Trauma Center recognized for clinical excellence in cardiology, cardiovascular surgery, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics, sports medicine, multi-organ transplants and cancer treatment.
With more than 31,000 employees, Henry Ford Health System is the fifth-largest employer in metro Detroit, and among the most diverse. Generating more than $1.7 billion of annual economic stimulus, it proudly acts as one of Michigan's anchor institutions.