MAIN PURPOSE: Leads the technical team for the mill, and technically supports the Mill Operations Team (process control, optimization, targets, and laboratory).
• Set operational targets, including short and long-range production budgeting. When deviations to budget occur, develop plans to make up the differences.
• Utilize team and delegate work accordingly to ensure all process areas are receiving appropriate technical attention.
• Translate information and results from metallurgical test work into mill operating targets.
• Provide technical leadership and guidance for mill improvement projects.
• Technically develop and lead junior metallurgists.
• Utilize knowledge of ore behaviour to help in process control refinement.
• Oversee mill laboratories.
• Ensure Process Control System is set up to optimally support process operations. Recommend changes and improvements as required.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Metallurgical or Mineral Processing Engineering or a related discipline is required. An advanced technical degree is favourable.
• Five years of experience is required in this role, preferably with operational and project responsibilities preferred
• It is preferred that the candidate have demonstrated strong report writing skills.
• Experience with process controls development and optimization will be advantageous.
• Operational experience with crushing, milling, flotation, dewatering systems is required.
• Operation experience in a nickel or copper/nickel flotation concentrator is strongly preferred.
Everyone in the workplace is responsible for his or her own safety and for the safety of their co-workers. Employees are responsible for performing all tasks in accordance with relevant HSEC Site Procedures, so as to work safely and keep the workplace safe. Lundin Mining Company is responsible for determining steps required to ensure health and safety of all employees, protection of the environment, and the community. Specifically, all employees must:
• Accept personal responsibility for HSEC
• Identify hazards, unsafe actions, and conditions that could result in damage to property, injury, impacts to the environment, and the community
• Obey any instruction issued to protect their own personal health and safety, and the health and safety of others, protection of the environment and the community.
• Report, as soon as practicable to their Manager any situations where HSEC requirements are not being conformed to within their work area
• Avoid endangerment to any other person through any act or omission
• Only use equipment you are trained to use and operate the equipment in a way that is safe, protects the environment and doesn’t cause undue community impacts.
• Participate in HSEC training provided to them
• Report all incidents; including but not limited to injuries, near miss, community interactions and impacts, environmental impacts, spills, unsafe work practices, etc.
Our mission is to produce high quality nickel and copper with industry best practices in safety, environmental protection, and community engagement for modern mining.
As Michigan’s newest mine in decades, we’re dedicated to keeping our employees safe, protecting the environment, and being a responsible community member.