CEDAM’s AmeriCorps Information: CEDAM’s AmeriCorps program connects local and statewide agencies to meet
neighbors’ critical needs. Members create community, build capacity and serve neighbors across Michigan. Our
AmeriCorps program advances equity for Michiganders in two key ways 1. Cultivating the next generation of leaders in
the community economic development field and 2. Supporting economic inclusion for Michiganders.
Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency (Wayne Metro) is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization serving
approximately 35,000 low-and moderate-income residents throughout Wayne County. We provide over 60 programs
In the areas of Quality Housing, Family Stability and Economic Opportunities. Our services include financial capability
education, homeownership workshops, housing counseling, financial counseling, utility assistance, Head Start, GED
preparation, free tax preparation, foreclosure prevention and homeless services. To learn more visit:
Role and Responsibilities: We are hiring for 2 VITA Site Navigators who will work together to:
• Assist with VITA & Tax credit education to underserved neighborhood to increase participation before and after
tax season. This incudes, but isn’t limited to surveying neighbors, creating & designing informational flyers,
organizing & facilitating FAQ coffee hours and providing expertise to neighbors regarding tax returns and
providing tax preparation services when needed.
• Identify locations in underserved neighborhoods to conduct VITA & tax credit presentation to educate
community & offer resources.
• Provide overall tax site management and support.
• Conduct VITA tax returns with neighbors
• Provide quality review of tax returns when needed.
• Recruit, onboard, train & schedule volunteers to support VITA site logistics & tax preparations. Organize and
establish volunteer appreciation efforts.
• Complete IRS training & obtain an advance level VITA Volunteer certification.
• Participate in CEDAM AmeriCorps monthly meetings, trainings, events, data collection, reporting and additional
items as needed.
• Participate in AmeriCorps & Michigan’s AmeriCorps events and trainings.
• Willingness and interest in working with a diverse population while modeling patience, kindness, flexibility,
respect and maintaining privacy to those we’re assisting in the community.
• Some experience or knowledge of tax preparation.
• Ability to use or teach oneself new software in a fast-paced role with little oversight.
• Be at least 17 years of age. Minors must have guardian permission. Applicants must have HS diploma, GED or
working toward the completion of one.
• U.S. citizen, U.S. national or lawful permanent resident of the U.S.
• Pass the following National Service Criminal History Checks: State of Michigan background check, State of
residency (if not Michigan), FBI Fingerprinting, and State & National Sex Offender Registry
• Ability to maintain privacy of those we’re assisting in the community
• An interest in learning about taxes and financial stability products
CEDAM’s AmeriCorps State Program
Member Position Description
• Comfort with basic math
• Basic computer skills and the ability to learn new software quickly.
• Must not have any financial crimes listed on background check
• Complete IRS training & obtain an advanced level VITA Volunteer certification
In our pursuit to eliminate poverty, Wayne Metro empowers people and communities to be strong, healthy, and thriving.
We envision thriving communities where all people have hope and opportunities to realize their full potential.
Our employees use their individual strengths to help solve some of Wayne County’s toughest challenges and empower the community through collective impact.