Direct Care Staff Job Description
The Direct Care Staff is responsible for the daily care, activity coordination and documentation for all group home/semi-independent living clients. The ratio of staff to group home clients is 1:3 except on the midnight shift where the ratio is 1:6. Semi-independent clients have 1:1 staff for certain time frames and activities supportive of community reintegration goals. The Direct Care Staff is supervised by the Group Home Manager.
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to: monitoring clients, documentation in client records, medication administration, transportation of clients in company/personal vehicles, care of household and client equipment/supplies, provide assistance with activities of daily living, and attending staff meetings/trainings as scheduled.
Client Supervision and Care
1. Monitor/observe clients at all times, noting behaviors/occurrences relative to treatment plans in daily progress notes according to documentation policies.
2. Implement treatment plans developed by the clinical program director and treatment team.
3. Accurately and objectively record client behavior, responses, needs, issues and plans in
the daily progress notes/charts.
4. Accurately dispense and record client medication administration at prescribed times.
Medications should be checked at the beginning and end of each shift. Clients are to be observed swallowing medications and each medication given is to be documented in accordance with Dignitas, Inc. medication administration policies, including signature on each medication sheet.
5. Transport clients via company or personal vehicle, or accompany with transportation vendor of choice to activities as planned and directed by the Group Home Manager.
6. Assist or provide guidance with activity of daily living skills as necessary per treatment plan, documenting any changes in abilities or physical status.
7. Monitor status of client's durable medical equipment and personal belongings,
communicating any disrepair or safety concerns.
8. Lead client-related activities as scheduled.
1. Report all house/vehicle repair needs to the Group Home Manager.
2. Maintain mileage records of client transportation on personal vehicle(s) for each trip.
3. Provide receipts for all purchases from petty cash or those requiring reimbursement immediately following the expenditure.
4. Participate in household maintenance activities as scheduled on each day worked.
1. Attend staff meetings as scheduled. Though meeting time/date may be on a scheduled off day, these meetings are mandatory.
2. Attend training classes as scheduled. Again, many trainings are mandatory and excusal needs to be done in advance with documented reason.
1. Strictly adhere to the policies and procedures of Dignitas, Inc.
2. Complete training manuals within one week from date of hire, including: reading assignments and quizzes, video training series, and attend any other training activities/classes as requested.
3. Read the state laws manual.
4. Read daily memos (staff log) and follow designated plans.
Dignitas has several houses in the Detroit Metropolitan Area.
These homes are licensed by the State of Michigan to provide specialty services to persons with acquired brain injury and spinal cord injuries.
The facilities provide 24-hour supervision and structure in a home atmosphere.
We have a high staff to resident ratio to ensure quality of care at our homes.
Our homes adhere to all related regulations and guidelines. All homes are handicap accessible with wheel chair ramps and interior modifications to provide barrier-free movement within the homes.
The operations of Dignitas are overseen by a Board of Directors and consultants from a wide variety of academic and medical backgrounds and experience.
All of our homes provide service to male and female residents 18 years of age and older.