POSITION TITLE: Cook – Elementary School
UNION AFFILIATION: AFSCME Food Service
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
FTE STATUS: 1.00
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Director of Food Service
Under general supervision of the Director of Food Service, the Cook is responsible for the ordering, preparation, service and cleanup of the food and non-food supplies assigned to the Elementary School Kitchen.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Responsible for knowing and understanding the meal patterns, including NSLP and NSBP;
● Must know how to use and maintain all kitchen equipment;
● Responsible for turning on all kitchen equipment daily and unlocking/locking all forms of storage areas;
● Responsible for checking temperatures of equipment and logging it on a daily temperature sheet;
● Communicates with the Cook Coordinator on a daily basis about both breakfast and lunch menu needs;
● Responsible for the daily coordination with Food Truck Driver and Cook Coordinator on menu items that are routed in food carriers;
● Responsible for loading and unloading of both the top and bottom of food carrier sent from RHS daily or as needed for food/supplies;
● Responsible for ordering food and non-food supplies from all sources, using the methods taught and required, within the timetable provided by the Food Service Director; this includes but not limited to food/nonfood and milk orders;
● Responsible for setting up the cold breakfast items cart per menu for daily service and restocking after. Complete daily breakfast production sheets and send to Food Service Director monthly;
● Responsible to run the Point of Sale system for breakfast service;
● Responsible for preparation, cooking, service and cleanup of all food items per menu. Complete daily production sheets and send to Food Service Director monthly;
● Responsible for making adjustments in quantity prepared to eliminate waste or outages;
● Responsible for keeping production records and temperature logs accurate and up to date;
● Responsible for placing paper liner in red serving baskets daily;
● Responsible for placing red basket wash tub in cafeteria for student to place used baskets in;
● Prepares appetizing foods using standardized recipes while following proper handling and cooking techniques under ServSafe and health department regulations;
● Responsible for following the menu and offering the appropriate choices as listed on the menu. Additional fresh fruit and vegetables choices may be served when using leftovers;
● Responsible for using correct portions and proper cooking temperatures for all food prepared;
● Responsible for prepping salad bar cooler with cold fruit and vegetables per menu between each lunch period for quick restocking by cashier daily. Communicate with cashier on what prepped items can be used for the daily menu;
● Responsible for the counting of beginning and ending inventory of all food components per the menu daily;
● Responsible for maintaining food and facilities within the appropriate government agency codes;
● Responsible for weekly cleaning tasks as assigned by Food Service Director when needed;
● Ability to run the Point of Sale system and know how to troubleshoot common problems;
● Responsible for keeping all food/nonfood items in their original boxes/packaging in the all forms of main storage areas: reach-in refrigerator, reach-in freezer, and dry stock room. Only condense items once par levels are small enough. Boxes are labeled correctly so inventory is up to date and accurate;
● Responsible for maintaining and organizing the correct par level of stock using just in time ordering;
● Correctly rotates stock using the First in First Out (FIFO) method;
● Responsible for month end inventory and entering it in the online Google form monthly;
● Responsible for receiving weekly warehouse orders;
● Ensures all food in refrigeration/freezer/dry storage is properly stored, labeled and dated;
● Responsible for cleaning up, use the dish machine and/or three (3) compartment sink and properly store equipment and tools;
● Communicates with the Food Service Director any equipment concerns for service call;
● Responsible for maintaining a clean working area: serving lines, work stations, reach in coolers/warmers, and equipment are cleaned daily. Stainless is cleaned weekly. Boxes are broken down before placed in cart dumpster daily. Trash cans are not over loaded. Stock room is kept neat and clean. Empty boxes are removed. Floors are kept clean;
● Responsible to complete yearly Professional Development in accordance with USDA Policy 80 FR11007 and provide that documentation to the Food Service Director;
● Responsible for completing all Professional Development required by the District, i.e. SafeSchools;
● Must be able to work as a team;
● Participates in district and school initiatives, adheres to building and district school improvement plans;
● Participate in organizational quality;
● Keep in confidence all student and/or personnel records and information;
● Adheres to district and school rules and procedures;
● Conducts behavior to demonstrate collegiality and professionalism;
● Regular and reliable attendance is an essential function of the position;
● Other duties as assigned by the Food Service Director.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
● Possession of a High School Diploma or equivalency
● ServSafe Manager Certification
● ServSafe Allergen Certification
● Minimum 1-year experience in full preparation cooking within a kitchen or equivalent
● Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board of Education may find appropriate and acceptable
● Applicants must satisfactorily pass a criminal background check as defined by the State of Michigan.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
● Working and demonstrated knowledge of Food Safety and Health Department Codes;
● Demonstrated understanding of USDA School Meals Pattern requirements;
● Knowledge of records administration and maintenance techniques and procedures;
● Knowledge of productivity applications such as Microsoft Office (word processing, Google, email, etc. is required;
● Skills to effectively communicate with a variety of stakeholders, both orally and in writing;
● Skills necessary to integrate and utilize district technology on a daily basis to maintain proficiency, as required skill sets change with technology and or the needs of the district;
● Skills in the use of computer technology for research, data management, communications and other instruction in a networked environment utilizing the Internet and other electronic communication mechanisms;
● Ability to set and meet goals evaluated through ongoing and annual Administrator feedback and achievement of objectives and agreed upon professional/personal goals;
● Ability to handle routine correspondence;
● Ability to work well with students, the public, and other employees;
● Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external contacts;
● Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and that, if requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship. The contract, salary and other employment conditions will be mutually agreed upon by the Board of Education and the Romeo Education Association.
Romeo Community Schools is a public school district located in Macomb County, Michigan. The district serves the communities of Romeo, Washington Township, Bruce Township, and Ray Township. The district is committed to providing a quality education to all of its students and has a long-standing reputation for academic excellence and community involvement.
The district operates an early childhood center, five elementary schools, one middle schools, and one high school. Croswell Early Childhood Center houses the districts pre-school program, the elementary schools include Hamilton Parsons Elementary School, Amanda Moore Elementary School, Washington Elementary School, Indian Hills Elementary School, and Hevel Elementary School. The one middle school is Romeo Middle School and one high school, Romeo High Schools that houses the Academies of Romeo. These academies offer a diverse range of disciplines, attracting students from all around the world who seek exceptional education and a nurturing academic environment. The Academies of Romeo are known for their distinguished faculty, cutting-edge research facilities, and innovative teaching methods. Students here are encouraged to pursue their passions and explore new avenues of knowledge, fostering a culture of intellectual curiosity and creativity. The Academies of Romeo are not just institutions of learning but vibrant communities where students develop lifelong friendships and forge connections that extend far beyond their academic years.
The district's academic programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of its students, with a focus on personalized learning, student-centered instruction, and high standards of academic achievement. The district offers a comprehensive curriculum that includes core subjects such as English, mathematics, science, and social studies, as well as elective courses in areas such as music, art, foreign languages, and technology.
Romeo Community Schools places a strong emphasis on the use of technology in the classroom, with a commitment to integrating technology into all aspects of teaching and learning. The district provides students with access to a range of technology resources, including laptops, tablets, and interactive whiteboards, to support learning and engagement in the classroom.
In addition to its strong academic programs, Romeo Community Schools offers a wide range of extracurricular activities and programs to enrich the educational experience of its students. These include athletics, music and performing arts programs, clubs and organizations, and community service projects. The district's athletic programs are highly regarded, with a long history of success in a variety of sports, including football, basketball, baseball, and soccer.
Overall, Romeo Community Schools is a thriving public school district that is dedicated to providing a quality education to its students. With a strong focus on academic excellence, technology integration, and student well-being, the district is well-positioned to prepare its students for success in college, career, and life. Whether you are a parent looking for a quality education for your child, or a student seeking a supportive and engaging learning environment, Romeo Community Schools is a great choice.
To view all of our exciting opportunities that are available and to submit your application, please visit the employment page of our website by clicking on this link: