POSITION TITLE: School Social Worker
UNION AFFILIATION: Romeo Education Association
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
FTE STATUS: 1.00
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Building Principal(s)/Director of Special Services
Under the direction of the building Principal, the School Social Worker provides social services and instructional assistance to improve the social and psychological functioning of students identified as functioning at a higher risk or with the greatest potential for academic failure. The Social Worker provides additional support services for students and families beyond the scope and sequence of regular social work services respective to the students’ needs. The Social Worker will assist identified students by helping them cope with and resolve issues in their everyday lives, such as family and personal issues. In addition, the Social Worker will conduct research, advocate for improved services, and/or become involved in planning or academic mentorship and monitoring of students.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Participates in professional development, maintains appropriate certification and qualifications and keeps current in changing pedagogy.
· Conducts Functional Assessments that incorporate multiple data/information sources, including formal/informal observation of behaviors that interfere with learning.
· Develops Behavior Support Plans that are built upon the concepts of positive behavioral supports and utilizes ethical, proactive, person centered approaches in order to modify and/or resolve behavior.
· Develops methods of tracking effectiveness of behavior support plans through the analysis of behavioral data and makes changes to the plan as necessary.
· Provides the necessary training and modeling to enable classroom staff to effectively implement behavior support plans and instructional strategies in order to reduce or eliminate undesirable behaviors.
· Promotes student self-advocacy and independence by encouraging each individual to identify his/her needs and preferences.
· Provides timely and accurate documentation, in compliance with policies, procedures and regulations.
· Participates in collegial conversations surrounding student achievement on a regular basis, influencing individual, grade, and/or department instruction based on collective examination of student performance.
· Communicates regularly with students, parents, families and administration in advocacy of student growth. Develops communication plans that adjust for varying levels of parent involvement and inclusion.
· Integrates cultural consciousness.
· Collects and integrates information about community heritage.
· Participates in district and school initiatives, adheres to building and district school improvement plans.
· Participate in organizational quality.
· Keep in confidence all personal, student or personnel records and information.
· Adheres to district and school rules and procedures.
· Conducts behavior to demonstrate collegiality and professionalism.
· Mandated Reporter for Child Abuse and Neglect.
· Regular and reliable attendance is an essential function of the position.
· Other duties as assigned by Administration.
· Position supervises students.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
· Applicant must have at least a Master's Degree in School Social Work (MSW);
· Applicant must have full approval from the Michigan Department of Education as a School Social Worker;
· Previous Section 504 experience preferred.
· Training, expertise and experience with a variety of disabilities including: EI, LD, CI, OHI and ASD, including specific knowledge and experience in the evaluation of emotional impairment and Autism Spectrum Disorder.
· Certification in or willingness to be trained in Nonviolent Crisis Intervention techniques.
· Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board of Education may find appropriate and acceptable;
· Applicants must satisfactorily pass a criminal background check as defined by the State of Michigan.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Knowledge of records administration and maintenance techniques and procedures;
· Knowledge of productivity applications such as Microsoft Office (word processing, Google, email, etc. is required;
· Knowledge with special education law, theory, service deliver and procedures;
· Skills to effectively communicate with a variety of stakeholders, both orally and in writing;
· Skills in communication, clinical, diagnostic, and consultative to a variety of stakeholders;
· Skills necessary to integrate and utilize district technology on a daily basis to maintain proficiency, as required skill sets change with technology and or the needs of the district;
· Skills in the use of computer technology for research, data management, communications and other instruction in a networked environment utilizing the Internet and other electronic communication mechanisms;
· Ability to set and meet goals evaluated through ongoing and annual Administrator feedback and achievement of objectives and agreed upon professional/personal goals;
· Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external contacts;
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and that, if requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship. The contract, salary and other employment conditions will be mutually agreed upon by the Board of Education and the Romeo Education Association.
Romeo Community Schools is a public school district located in Macomb County, Michigan. The district serves the communities of Romeo, Washington Township, Bruce Township, and Ray Township. The district is committed to providing a quality education to all of its students and has a long-standing reputation for academic excellence and community involvement.
The district operates an early childhood center, five elementary schools, one middle schools, and one high school. Croswell Early Childhood Center houses the districts pre-school program, the elementary schools include Hamilton Parsons Elementary School, Amanda Moore Elementary School, Washington Elementary School, Indian Hills Elementary School, and Hevel Elementary School. The one middle school is Romeo Middle School and one high school, Romeo High Schools that houses the Academies of Romeo. These academies offer a diverse range of disciplines, attracting students from all around the world who seek exceptional education and a nurturing academic environment. The Academies of Romeo are known for their distinguished faculty, cutting-edge research facilities, and innovative teaching methods. Students here are encouraged to pursue their passions and explore new avenues of knowledge, fostering a culture of intellectual curiosity and creativity. The Academies of Romeo are not just institutions of learning but vibrant communities where students develop lifelong friendships and forge connections that extend far beyond their academic years.
The district's academic programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of its students, with a focus on personalized learning, student-centered instruction, and high standards of academic achievement. The district offers a comprehensive curriculum that includes core subjects such as English, mathematics, science, and social studies, as well as elective courses in areas such as music, art, foreign languages, and technology.
Romeo Community Schools places a strong emphasis on the use of technology in the classroom, with a commitment to integrating technology into all aspects of teaching and learning. The district provides students with access to a range of technology resources, including laptops, tablets, and interactive whiteboards, to support learning and engagement in the classroom.
In addition to its strong academic programs, Romeo Community Schools offers a wide range of extracurricular activities and programs to enrich the educational experience of its students. These include athletics, music and performing arts programs, clubs and organizations, and community service projects. The district's athletic programs are highly regarded, with a long history of success in a variety of sports, including football, basketball, baseball, and soccer.
Overall, Romeo Community Schools is a thriving public school district that is dedicated to providing a quality education to its students. With a strong focus on academic excellence, technology integration, and student well-being, the district is well-positioned to prepare its students for success in college, career, and life. Whether you are a parent looking for a quality education for your child, or a student seeking a supportive and engaging learning environment, Romeo Community Schools is a great choice.
To view all of our exciting opportunities that are available and to submit your application, please visit the employment page of our website by clicking on this link: