For 2023-2024 School Year
POSITION TITLE: Bus Driver
UNION AFFILIATION: TPOAM – Romeo Transportation Association
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
FTE STATUS: 1.00
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Director of Transportation
Under the direction of the Director of Transportation, the bus driver transports students safely over specified routes according to time schedules. Complies with all state and local traffic regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Drive a school bus according to a designated route and schedule;
· Participate in determining route and time changes when necessary;
· Operate a bus in various traffic, weather and road conditions with the safety of students as the priority;
· Perform inspection of bus prior to beginning a route and complete form indicating same. Report malfunctions to mechanics and Director of Transportation;
· Supervise students while driving, maintain a safe and orderly atmosphere, and issue disciplinary measures when necessary;
· Communicate with parents and school staff on student behavior;
· Maintain the bus in a clean and orderly condition, sweep and empty trash;
· Refuel the bus when necessary;
· Attends all mandatory meetings;
· Responsible for transporting only authorized students and/or adults;
· Conducts evacuation drills as required by the State of Michigan and District policy;
· Reports all accidents and completed required reports;
· Participates in district and school initiatives, adheres to building and district school improvement plans;
· Keep in confidence student records and information as required under FERPA;
· Adheres to district and school rules and procedures;
· Conducts behavior to demonstrate collegiality and professionalism;
· Regular and reliable attendance is an essential function of the position;
· Other duties as assigned as agreed upon by Adminisration.
· Position supervises students.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
· Commercial Driver License appropriate for pupil transportation is necessary;
· Ability to meet Department of Transportation physical examination requirements;
· Ability to sit and drive for extended periods of time;
· Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board of Education may find appropriate and acceptable;
· Applicants must satisfactorily pass a criminal background check as defined by the State of Michigan.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Knowledge of records administration and maintenance techniques and procedures;
· Knowledge of productivity applications such as Microsoft Office (word processing, Google, email, etc. is required;
· Knowledge of streets in the school district;
· Thorough knowledge of laws, ordinances, rules and regulations concerning the operation of school buses;
· Knowledge of safety standards, be alert and exercise good judgment in an emergency;
· Skills to effectively communicate with a variety of stakeholders, both orally and in writing;
· Skills necessary to integrate and utilize district technology on a daily basis to maintain proficiency, as required skill sets change with technology and or the needs of the district;
· Skills in the use of computer technology;
· Ability to set and meet goals evaluated through ongoing and annual Administrator feedback and achievement of objectives and agreed upon professional/personal goals;
· Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external contacts;
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and that, if requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship. The contract, salary and other employment conditions will be mutually agreed upon by the Board of Education and the Romeo Education Association.
Romeo Community Schools is a public school district located in Macomb County, Michigan. The district serves the communities of Romeo, Washington Township, Bruce Township, and Ray Township. The district is committed to providing a quality education to all of its students and has a long-standing reputation for academic excellence and community involvement.
The district operates an early childhood center, five elementary schools, one middle schools, and one high school. Croswell Early Childhood Center houses the districts pre-school program, the elementary schools include Hamilton Parsons Elementary School, Amanda Moore Elementary School, Washington Elementary School, Indian Hills Elementary School, and Hevel Elementary School. The one middle school is Romeo Middle School and one high school, Romeo High Schools that houses the Academies of Romeo. These academies offer a diverse range of disciplines, attracting students from all around the world who seek exceptional education and a nurturing academic environment. The Academies of Romeo are known for their distinguished faculty, cutting-edge research facilities, and innovative teaching methods. Students here are encouraged to pursue their passions and explore new avenues of knowledge, fostering a culture of intellectual curiosity and creativity. The Academies of Romeo are not just institutions of learning but vibrant communities where students develop lifelong friendships and forge connections that extend far beyond their academic years.
The district's academic programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of its students, with a focus on personalized learning, student-centered instruction, and high standards of academic achievement. The district offers a comprehensive curriculum that includes core subjects such as English, mathematics, science, and social studies, as well as elective courses in areas such as music, art, foreign languages, and technology.
Romeo Community Schools places a strong emphasis on the use of technology in the classroom, with a commitment to integrating technology into all aspects of teaching and learning. The district provides students with access to a range of technology resources, including laptops, tablets, and interactive whiteboards, to support learning and engagement in the classroom.
In addition to its strong academic programs, Romeo Community Schools offers a wide range of extracurricular activities and programs to enrich the educational experience of its students. These include athletics, music and performing arts programs, clubs and organizations, and community service projects. The district's athletic programs are highly regarded, with a long history of success in a variety of sports, including football, basketball, baseball, and soccer.
Overall, Romeo Community Schools is a thriving public school district that is dedicated to providing a quality education to its students. With a strong focus on academic excellence, technology integration, and student well-being, the district is well-positioned to prepare its students for success in college, career, and life. Whether you are a parent looking for a quality education for your child, or a student seeking a supportive and engaging learning environment, Romeo Community Schools is a great choice.
To view all of our exciting opportunities that are available and to submit your application, please visit the employment page of our website by clicking on this link: