* After the successful completion of a 9-month probationary period, the rate of pay increases to $30.26/hour.
- Repair, rebuild and/or replace the following:
- Diagnose various Heavy Duty vehicles/construction equipment with mechanical malfunction.
- Perform welding and fabricating task on heavy-duty equipment.
- Perform repairs to return equipment to a safe operational state.
- Maintain equipment by performing preventative maintenance per manufacturer's schedule.
- Utilizing manufacturer software in diagnosis process.
- Operate RCOC wrecker in responding to on the road service calls.
- Position may involve seasonal over-time.
- May be assigned to work at various RCOC garage locations within Oakland County as needed.
- Position requires repetitive movement of the body, wrists, shoulders, elbows and lower back. Bending and twisting of body and limbs. Use of hands and fingers for grasping and holding. Climbing, stooping, kneeling and reaching. Extended periods of standing.
- Candidates will experience exposure to body vibrations, loud noises/sounds, dust/dirt/various contaminants, work in close proximity of vehicles/traffic/power equipment, work in confined, awkward spaces and body positions and exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures.
- Position requires the ability to move/push/pull objects up to 90 pounds, lifting up to 40 pounds above one's head to shoulder level, use of power tools (welders, torches, impact wrench, hydraulic jacks, air chisel, hoists, electronic testing equipment, cordless tools, etc.) and use of non-power tools (hammer, socket wrench, screw driver, pliers, wrenches, maillot, razor scrapers, chisel, testing equipment, etc.).
- Must perform duties in a professional and courteous manner to promote a positive image of the Road Commission for Oakland County.
- Regular and predictable onsite job attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Requires a daily schedule that supports RCOC hours of operation.
Must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
Ability to stand for long periods.
Must be legally eligible to work in the United States and possess a Valid Driver’s License
Attractive benefits package
EOE/ADA/Drug Free Workplace
We are the Road Commission for Oakland County. We are the county-level road agency in Oakland County, Michigan, and have been serving the county since 1913. We are the largest county road system in the state of Michigan.
· 2,700 – plus mile of county roads.
· More than 230 miles of state highways in Oakland County.
· Approximately 90 bridges.
· Approximately 1,500 traffic signals.
· Approximately 150,000 traffic signs.
The Road Commission provides career opportunities and growth for anyone who wants to progress professionally.
· Traffic Signal Technicians – 100% joined the Road Commission as laborers.
· Foreperson / Skilled Foreperson - 100% joined the Road Commission as laborers.
· Superintendents – 80% joined the Road Commission as laborers.
· General Supervision – 73% joined the Road Commission at the entry level.
· Division Heads – 71% joined the Road Commission at the entry level.
· Directors / Executives – 64% joined the Road Commission at the functional level.