ProQuest – Who we are…
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world.
ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader in the Information Services market.
Sr. Software Engineer (Ebook Central)
What will I be doing?
As a Senior Software Engineer at ProQuest, you will be responsible for the design and implementation/integration of systems and enterprise initiatives. You will participate in story refinement, perform research, provide technical leadership, resolve issues and assist in prioritizing technical strategies to achieve the long-term objectives of the department.
In this position, you will also…
• Implements software for specifications of high complexity for limited scale systems, or medium to high complexity for large-scale systems.
• Manually tests and unit tests all assigned applications.
• Participates as a team member on various engineering projects and may lead small projects.
• Implements design changes to improve quality, performance, cost reduction, and standardization through analysis of designs and problem-solving techniques.
You might be a fit if…
1. You love working with Java
2. You like working with high volume, large scale systems
3. You enjoy making designs and proposing solutions
This job may not be a fit if...
1. You’re a lone-wolf, out for number one!
2. If you don’t have a variety of different frameworks/languages in your history
Qualified Candidates must have…
• Bachelors’ degree or higher in Computer Engineering or Computer Science, plus at least 6 years of software development experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Masterful understanding and frequent usage of Java
• Experience with or willingness to learn .NET
• Experience with SQL databases such as Oracle and MySQL
• Experience with Unix/Linux and shell scripts
• Experience with scripting languages such as Perl or Python
• Experience with RESTful services
• Ability to write functional / detailed design specifications based on user and/or system requirement
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…
• Experience with public cloud services such as AWS
• Experience with ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load)
• Experience with NOSQL databases such as Cassandra and MongoDB
• Experience with PL/SQL development
• Experience with Angular, AngularJS, or similar frameworks
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
• Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers
• We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
• We hold fun on-site events
• Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
• We have a relaxed dress code… yes, that means blue jeans (and not just on Fridays!)
• All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
At Innovative, we embrace the power of our people and value our differences — in thought, style, sexual orientation, gender identity, culture, ethnicity, and experience — recognizing that our diversity makes us a stronger company. Encouraging a diverse, inclusive workplace gives us the business advantage of understanding and meeting the needs of our diverse customers, clients, and communities.
Other important information about this position:
• This role is based in our ProQuest Ann Arbor office location; occasional remote work may be acceptable, subject to approval.
• Occasional travel may be required.
• This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with scheduling flexibility available around standard business hours to accommodate clients in alternate geographies and time zones.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you are a dedicated and passionate technologist, please consider joining our talented team!!
ProQuest is committed to empowering researchers and librarians around the world. The company’s portfolio of assets -- including content, technologies and deep expertise -- drives better research outcomes for users and greater efficiency for the libraries and organizations that serve them.
ProQuest is a key partner for content holders of all types, preserving and enabling access to their rich and varied information. Those partnerships have built a growing content collection that now encompasses 90,000 authoritative sources, 6 billion digital pages and spans six centuries. It includes the world’s largest collection of dissertations and theses; 20 million pages and three centuries of global, national, regional and specialty newspapers; more than 450,000 ebooks; rich aggregated collections of the world’s most important scholarly journals and periodicals; and unique vaults of digitized historical collections from great libraries and museums, as well as organizations as varied as the Royal Archives, the Associated Press and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
This vast content allows serious research of virtually any research topic from multiple perspectives and across multiple formats. Precision search of the content is enabled through ProQuest’s renowned ability to structure data for simple access and discovery by students, scholars and information seekers of all kinds. These ProQuest technologies uncover the right content at the right time, while others streamline research routines with automated bibliographic support and document management, and by providing online platforms for anytime, any place collaboration. For librarians, ProQuest is an essential partner in driving the transformation of their organizations, providing practical and increasingly interoperable Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) solutions for acquisition, assessment, management and marketing of their information collections.
ProQuest’s innovations are built from a spectrum of expertise that has developed organically and as companies have joined the enterprise. Affiliate Bowker is acclaimed for its century of experience in the organization of book data via classics such as Books in Print. ProQuest’s aggregation solutions are supported by renowned skills in abstracting and indexing, while its historical collections leverage unique talent in the preservation and digitization of rare archival collections. Its EBooks area – encompassing pioneering brands ebrary and EBL-EBook Library – solve challenges related to emerging electronic formats. Other notable brands include the iconic ProQuest Dialog® information service that powers innovation in corporations; the Summon® discovery service, which enables patrons search their library’s collection through a single online portal; RefWorks, which provides students and faculty with a digital space for collaboration and management of all their research; Pivot™, a resource that matches funding and collaborators with researchers; and Intota®, a new management platform that enables libraries to make the shift from print to “e.”
ProQuest is headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, with offices around the world.